2018 Submissions Villagers Playwrights Series
The Villagers Theatre in Franklin Township, NJ is accepting submissions for the 2018 New Playwrights Series. Selected plays will be presented as staged readings in the Zaidi Black Box Theatre March – June 2018. The selected playwrights are required to attend the readings and to participate in discussions with the audience. New Playwrights Series is NOT a workshop, it is for the purpose of staging readings of authors work. The following are guidelines for submissions:
– Deadline for submissions is October 15, 2017
– Script word count must be 20,000 words or LESS.
– Scripts must be original, COMPLETED, unpublished works of professional quality.
– One-act plays and shorter scripts will be considered, in addition to full-length scripts.
– Musical plays will NOT be considered.
– Plays with smaller casts (under 8 characters) are PREFERRED, but larger cast size will be considered. We also prefer shows designed to be performed on one set, with an eye toward future community theatre productions.
– No hardcopy paper manuscripts will be accepted. All submissions must be digital and sent via e-mail to NewPlaywrightSeries@Gmail.com
BODY OF EMAIL THAT CONTAINS ATTACHED SCRIPT MUST BE FORMATTED EXACTLY AS FOLLOWS :
- Authors Name, Address and Phone Number
- Name of Play
- Genre of Play (comedy, drama etc.)
- Word Count
- Number of Character
- Brief description of story’s premise
- Character breakdown
- Detailed Synopsis of play
- Brief Bio of Author
The goal of the Villagers New Playwrights Series is to provide playwrights with an opportunity to glimpse the performance potential of their works in progress. Additional goals are to provide alternative performance opportunities for our local actors and directors and to expose our local audiences to new works. All submissions will be considered for their potential to fulfill these goals. Due to the fact that Villagers programs are supported, in part, by funds from the New Jersey State Council of the Arts/ Department of State (a partner agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, and administered by the Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission through the State/County Partnership Local Arts Program), preference will be given to New Jersey resident playwrights.